Thursday, July 02, 2009

Happy likizo. Happy back to work. Happy July.

On June 12th, we closed up shop at Peace House and the students returned home kunyonya kwa mama, a Swahili saying for "milking on mama" or "to be spoiled by their mothers"; sadly, for the majority of our students, they did not return home to their biological mothers, but to an extended family member like an aunt or a grandmother or a sibling. I often wonder what that would feel like. Would I ever feel completely at home with an aunt, my grandmother or my brother? I guess I'd grow into it, but there's nothing like coming home to my mama. There's no one else in the world that loves you like that, with 9 months memory of holding you inside their belly.

This week, I returned to the office along with my fellow social workers, gardeners, teachers, and cooks to prepare for the students' imminent arrival Sunday. It's been so quiet around here without them. It's eerie in fact - like something's not quite right. It reminds me of staff training the week before summer camp started at Merriewooode - no cabin doors slamming, no splashing and screaming in the lake, no singing on the swings or arguing on the tetherball court.

I'm ready for the students to return. They always put things into perspective, no matter what drama is bubbling in the office. And there is always drama. I dream of escaping politics at the workplace, but I've come to realize: it comes with every job. I guess I have to deal with it and learn from it!

That's what vacation's for eh?! My two weeks off were so refreshing. The first week, Hunter and I spent camping on the Tanga coast. Hunter's best "why are you taking my picture in front of all these people, this is akward" look :)

We rented a piki piki one day and explored the ancient town of Pangani, where Oman people settled in 975 A.D. (the settlement still standing behind this ship on the other side of the water). I had no idea this was the oldest record of civilization in Tanzania's history until our walking tour with Mzee Edward. He's the best in case you're ever looking for a guide in Pangani. I highly recommend it. We chewed on all kinds of historical tibbits, like the name Pangani came from slave masters yelling Pangeni or "let's arrange ourselves" - as in slaves with their respective masters. It's crazy to think of the abuse and struggle felt in this town where the Pangani river meets the Indian ocean, and also to imagine the sheer ecstasy once freedom was announced in December 1961.

Another highlight was visiting Mkoma Bay, a spectacular tented lodge on the coast's edge, run by an RPCV and her Danish husband. PCV/RPCV friends: look them up for your PC discount! www.mkomabay.com. Can't beat this view...


The second week, we celebrated with the Cranes in Dar, spending 'QT' (That's for you Charlie) and saying our goodbyes before they move to Sudan at the end of the month. Jamani, will they be missed! Their home has served practically as a Peace Corps/RPCV/passerby guesthouse, a land of milk and honey, or in layman's terms: Lucy's homemade bagels, cream cheese and homecooked meals with great conversation...topped with Nancy and Charlie's concern for 'what's really going on' in our lives. I so appreciate that.

Speaking of Lucy, beautiful Lucy, we were also able to visit her new home recently constructed via her savings plan working with the Cranes as their housegirl.
We've really bonded over my visits in and out of Dar and I promised the Cranes I'd check on her when they're out of country. Her house is a palace compared to her neighbors homes. To name a few highlights, hers boasts a composting toilet, a kitchen opening up to her living room (quite a rarity; most TZ homes have the kitchen blocked off for the cook/housegirl not to be seen) and water harvesting.

Proud owner of a new home!
Upon returning to A'town, I was able to squeeze in a girls trip (GO V!!!)to the Maasai land to venture up 11,000 ft Ol Donyo Lengai, meaning the mountain of God in Kimaasai. This active volcano intimidates and demands respect to say the least. In other words, it kicked our butts. Seriously. I'm still a bit sore and it's been a week since I exited its never-ending body of quicksand-like ash.
GO V! This one's for you, Diane, our founding club mother.The view from the crater's rim. Can you hear the lava boiling?
Lengai's shadow on the Rift Valley behind us to the West. Stunning. Ngorogoro Crater is on the other side of this wall.
Hannah driving happily; don't let the smile confuse you. Upon closer inspection, what is it she's sporting? A bikini to drive in? A clever solution to a lack of clean clothes.

Our adventure ended with a flat - or shall we say - dessicated tire. I've never seen anything like it. Thank God, angels of the likes of Jackson and Mwenyekiti Goodluck stopped to save from us from our broken jack situation and get us back on the road to safe returns. Asante mungu. We were on His mountain and He delivered us home.

2 comments:

Taylor Wise said...

Great post, Tait! So glad things are going well...we might make it to TZ after Christmas. Can't wait!

vino luvah said...

wow! what a great and beautiful life you are leading! sounds like you had a wonderful vacation!