Monday, January 12, 2009

Initial impressions

This was how I was welcomed back to Tanzania - with a breathtaking view of Mt.Kilimanjaro out the plane window (while Mt. Meru was on my right). I was beaming.
I was then graciously shuttled by Enoch (not to be confused with 'eunoch') and Jenaya in a yellow 4X4 (nicknamed ndizi or 'the banana') to the Peace House campus under full moon light. I insisted on driving down the 5k dirt road to the school, which branches off the main road, eventually leading to the Serengeti plains. I know, I know - what a rebel am I. You don't understand. I was not permitted to drive for 3 years while in the Peace Corps. I feel like have finally arrived. To where? That's yet to be determined. But somewhere. Somehow. I have my driving test tomorrow to receive my official driving permit. It's a whole new world.
Since arriving, I've been settling into my new home, a 3 bedroom house on campus, which I'm sharing with Jenaya. It sits in quite a setting, isn't it? It is.

Our house on left; boarding facilities and dining hall in distance on right.
Karibuni nyumbani! Come visit. You'll be warmly welcomed by my roommate, Jenaya, and I. Promise. Jenaya's serving as the school's Volunteer Coordinator.
My highlight today: our school mini-bus getting stuck in the dirt in front of our house. Mmm. Our bus driver, Osca, a fellow Mbena, went overboard here, his genteel and charm overriding all sensibility. I love the guy. I knew I was at home when I met him. Origally from Iringa, he speaks my old village dialect and couldn't be more genuine. Everytime I use a Kibena greeting, he chuckles...and then translates what I said in Swahili to anyone around willing to listen. He'll be a good friend. Osca's behind the wheel if you can make him out, along with several of our students lending a hand.
The best part of this whole quandary:"God is Great" printed on this sweet bus's front window. Au siyo?

And that about sums up my first few days back in Tanzania. God is great. I'm beyond thankful to be home again and to have this opportunity to empower young people in such a spectacular setting. It feels like a mix of my last two sites: village and city; we're nestled in the peace and quiet of a village, yet we're a 20-minute drive from A'town hustle and bustle. I have to say - this beats living behind a mall.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the post,

keep up the good work

peace

newman

christine e said...

Mambo to you!
I'm so sorry I missed you before you left Atlanta. My trip to Kenya was amazing. In fact, I believe I left half of my heart there.
Your new life there sounds wonderful. I am thinking of you and so happy that our paths have crossed...
christine

CoCo said...

Bienveneu (sp?) Tait! Not sure I can say that since I'm not there TO welcome you, but I'm so happy for you to be back "home"! I'm so excited about hearing about your program, about the school, and about the Adventures of Taiter Tot 2009! LOVED our time together in Hotlanta! love,
Corrie

Tony said...

My dear,
My heart is with you. Easily done since it never left Tanzania. Please keep the good vibes coming this way. Love you dear...

Anonymous said...

Tait! I just bookmarked your blog and can't wait to keep up with you through it. So great to see you in December, and if I make it to TZ next summer I will definitely get in touch!

Taylor

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am in a class that is studying Africa and it is very intersting to hear your point of view and all about your worka and travel. I really enjoyed your blog!