Tuesday, October 16, 2007

finally some UPS to balance the downs of late

*Visit to my favorite bibi (grandmother) in Manga, Bibi Rahema.Yupp.She's standing.I'm kneeling*

*Debora and family with me at CCBRT Rehabilitative Center in Dar. This was prior to her cleft lip reconstructive surgery. Deborah is a 15 year old girl from the village of Ibatu, a two hour bike ride into the bush from Manga*
*Debora post-surgery healed and happy with her family (mom, brother, sister, uncle), visiting me, Kate (new volunteer in Manga - center) and nurse Atu in Manga last weekend. A miracle*

This surgery was not associated with the Peace Corps in any way, but was by far one of, if not, the most rewarding side project(s) I've ever been involved with - the work of friends of friends. Needless to say, it remains to be the most worthy vacation day I've ever spent in Dar es Salaam! This would not have been possible without the helping hands of Atu Kilasi of Manga dispensary, Jill Stanley of CCBRT, Lisa Peters, Dada Lucy and the Crane family. Thanks for the visits, cake, clothing donations, books and love you showered on Deb during her stay in Dar. Shukrani!
*New world map by Chasaki of Njombe completed at CHASAWAYA Orphan Vocational Center*
*My student Soitoti, his brother and new wife at their wedding this past Sunday. Look happy!* *Soitoti's mom and sisters with me showing off their zawadi (gift), a Maasai gourde, for the new bride and groom*


More photos from return trip to Manga, recent Memory Books Seminar in Iringa, teaching at Tumaini and burgeoning appropriate technology program (wind power), Mkombozi mobile school and hike to local waterfalls with friends at this Snapfish link:
http://www1.snapfish.com/share/p=312161192537415739/l=313246518/g=13602658/cobrandOid=1000001/otsc=SYE/otsi=SALB

Lastly, in memory of the beloved Julius Nyerere (Nyerere Day was this past Sunday, Oct 14), Tanzania's first president, I thought I'd end with one of his most memorable quotes:
"We the people would like to light a candle and put it on the top of Kilimanjaro that would shine beyond our borders, giving hope where there is despair, love where there is hate, and dignity where there is humiliation"

"Action expresses priorities"
-Gandhi

3 comments:

Immanuelkidugala said...

Tait, I think some of my comments since you left for Arusha didn't get thru to you. I must have goofed something up. But in any case, when I was in Kidugala I had visited from Chris Erickson from Masage for a few days. In fact, he was leaving the next day for your going away party. I have heard from him per e-mail & he did have a bad bought of stomach bug that laid him out pretty good but otherwise he is ok now. It is so different for you where you are now compared to where you came from. Even your students look so different in their dress, etc. I hope you are fitting in & feeling well about what you are doing where you are at. You are a blessing where ever you go to work. Tell all those boys that have goals of being a mechanic..after all the breakdown & radiator problems we had from Kidugala to Dar - TZ can NEVER have too many GOOD mechanics! I miss TZ everyday but letters from friends I have made there & reading blogs like yours keeps it close.
*Deb

luke maes said...

Hi Tait, its Luke here again. everytime i read your stories i feel so inspired by all your achievements. I've recently bought the lonely planet guide for volunteers...I've been back in Melbourne working in my emergency department, yet still feeling so frustrated with everything. I just feel like i need to be doing more, but not sure what to do and who to volunteer for. I was thinking of maybe volunteering for msf or the red cross. If you have any ideas on this just send me a quick email or something, i would love to hear your thoughts.
I hope life is treating you well.
Luke p.s. in case you didnt get it last time my email is maesluke@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

awww at the pic with you with Bibi Rahema, cute! :D