Tuesday, May 22, 2007

orphan research in igoma



I was fortunate to visit my friend Renee's village in Njombe before she finished her 2 years service this last May. She was a model to all of us in the region for her stellar work on behalf of OVC (Orphans and Vulnerable Children). In fact, I recently included these pictures and her experiences, stories in a presentation to the new training class of Health and Environment volunteers. Above is the orphan dinner we put on for the 30+ vulnerable kids identified in her village. Two of them are HIV+ and Renee unfortunately had to inform them of their status; no one else in the village had to courage to step up to the plate. She insisted, insisting that it was their right to know their status, to understand why they were taking medicine every day.



This was the runt of the group - adorable. He followed Renee around every where like a puppy dog.



This is a shot of the mentorship program Renee and her village leaders coordinated with local fundis (crafstmen). They volunteer teach the OVC at least three times per month, sacrificing their time in order to empower these kids - their sons, daughters, or their friends' sons and daughters. It's a worthwhile investment for these kids will be the Tanzania of tomorrow. Renee was blessed that her leaders and local villagers realized this fact. So many others are in denial, unwilling to take responsibility, to take ACTION.



Renee with her girls. Girls empowerment was a major focus for Renee, as it is for so many of us female PCVs.



This is the real hero, Ade (center), the Village Executive Officer of Renee's village. I have never witnessed a man so committed, driven and compassionate. He is a champion for these kids and for the Permaculture movement (That's 6 stalks of corn on the stalk behind him. Check that out Peter Jenson!). He has made OVC care and support of such paramount importance in the region, it's absurd. I wish there were more Tanzanian leaders like this man. He doesn't just talk the talk. He walks it.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Hey there Tait--I am a friend of Thais Berglund and am headed to Tanzania this Tuesday (May 29th)...I'll be working in Dar es Salaam with orphans and street kids for the month of June. I know you and Thais started the program together, but I no longer see any blogs on her blogsite, etc. I am sorry to write this on your site, but could you give me any contact info for her? I would love to see what she is doing there in TZ and would love to find more out about what you are doing as well! You are in Arusha? Could my friend and I possibly come there to see what life is like? Keep up all the great work! My email: jennster01@msn.com My friends and I have started a blogspot for our trip: www.tanzaniaorbust.blogspot.com
Blessings,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work!

I enjoy reading your blog, i miss TZ much